Wednesday, March 26, 2014

6 months later - almost a New Yorker

Life really does go by too fast. Almost 6 months ago, I made the decision to move to the concrete jungle of NYC from my comfortable beach home of Orange County. It felt like yesterday, going into my mid-year review and expressing my interest in moving to NY to help out our team there. By the end of September, I found my apartment and was planning to move everything I owned to the living room of a ridiculously expensive apartment with 3 other girls that I found through craigslist. 

There were a lot of factors to my decision of moving to NY. Sure, Aaron is going to school out here in Long Island and the long distance was starting to get a little old. However, that was only the cherry on top. What I really wanted was to get out of SoCal and start fresh. It didn't have to be NY, before deciding on NY, I was looking into San Francisco and before that I thought I was going to go back to Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne was where I studied abroad in 2011 and my first realization that I wanted to live in a big city. That was hands down the best experience of my life because it really opened my eyes to the world and made me realize there was more to life than Orange County. I love finding hidden gems in an unfamiliar city and having to adapt to a different way of life. It made things fun, it made life fun! The best part about moving away is having the time to find yourself. For once, I wanted to be selfish and just focus on myself. 

So next thing you know, I've been living in Manhattan for 6 months. Yes, I just experience the worst winter in the history of NY and felt the cold like I've never felt before. My cold benchmark went from 50 degrees in Cali to the negative with wind chills here in NY from all the storms we've been having! Anyways, cold and all, I told myself that I will make the most of my experience here. I'm hoping by keeping this blog, I can share with you my experience of coming from a beachbum Cali girl to being a fabulous (sex and the city wannabe) city chick. 




No comments:

Post a Comment